Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ahead of the Thanksgiving Last Minute Chaos

Last year, yes, maybe I'm slow to catch on, I cooked everything the day before - except the turkey and gravy. I did real mashed potatoes, put 'em in a nice oven proof dish and reheated them very low and slow in the oven. Did the stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans (or whatever vegetable you're having) and the homemade cranberry relish a day or two before the big day, too.

I also set the tables and get out all the dishes and serving utensils I'll need and put a post- it on which utensil goes with what dish. So, all you have to do on the "day of" is put the bird in the oven, reheat the sides and do the gravy at the last minute.

I like to have others bring the stuff like appetizers, rolls & butter, desserts, wine, beer, soft drinks, etc.

I used to spend ALL morning (up at 5 or 6 a.m.) of Thanksgiving doing everything fresh. Believe me, one day ahead and the food is just as good and YOU'RE the one who's fresh!

Ah, well, there's still the dishes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment